The following is a letter to the editor of my local newspaper that I thought you'd like to read it and perhaps pass it on.
Why are we so surprised when our children don't accept responsibility or consider consequences?
What are we teaching them?
- This is a society in which tobacco is to blame, not the smoker;
- where liquor is at fault, not the drinker; where the gun does the shooting, not the shooter;
- where the restaurant is at fault for making the coffee too hot, not the consumer who is not responsible enough to know where to place the cup;
- where the victim is liable for injuries sustained by the burglar while committing a crime;
- where a criminal is not to blame for his wrongdoing because it is his environment;
- where there is an excuse for every wrong in life, except lack of individual responsibility.
How did we get so far off track?
More importantly, how can we get back on?